With just days to go until the big ‘vote’ we thought we’d remind you of a few key facts about the European Union.
- It is an economic-political union of 28 member states located primarily in Europe.
- It has an estimated population of over 508 million
- The Monetary Union was established in 1999 – 19 member states use the Euro as their legal tender
- It has 24 languages
Share this post
- It was founded on 1st November 1993, in Maastricht, Netherlands
- Up to now, no member state has ever left the Union. Will the UK be the first?
- The EU is run by five main bodies: European Parliament, Council of the Union, European Commission, Court of Justice, and the Court of Auditors
- Decisions and procedures stem from treaties ratified by the member states
So, whilst all these snippets of information might not influence your decision on 23rd June, at least you know a little more about the EU.